When it comes to wedding services it’s often a good idea to check out any referrals that might come your way. A recommendation from a friend or somebody in the wedding business is always a good place to start your search for photographers, florists, jewellers, and of course caterers! That’s why I developed my Little Black Book resource, so I can share my knowledge of the experts I’ve met throughout my years based in the beautiful Nelson region.
I’ve asked the lovely Carol Shirley, from Gourmet Catering Nelson, to lend a hand with today’s blog post. Carol’s been catering for weddings throughout the region for many years. She’s known throughout the wedding services industry in Nelson, and guess what… She catered my wedding too! So I have first hand knowledge of how delicious her food is, and how easy she makes the process of choosing the right food to celebrate your special day.
I asked Carol to share 5 tips for perfecting your wedding catering, here’s what she said…
- Be realistic with your budget – It’s really important that you have good quality food, and that you have enough of it. People will remember the special words you and your partner said to each other, they’ll remember how lovely you looked as you took your first dance, but they’ll also remember the food!
- Don’t underestimate the amount of canapes you’ll need – Experience has shown me that canapes are a really important element of your wedding feast. Your guests need something to eat while they’re sipping drinks and waiting for the reception to get into full swing.
- Trust your caterer – Let them guide you on your food choices. They’ll have a good idea of the type and amount of food you should be serving depending on the timing of your ceremony.
- Dietary requirements – Make sure you’re aware of any of your guest’s special dietary requirements prior to your big day. You could send a little card out with the invitation, asking it to be returned with the reply; or depending on the size of your wedding party just phone around your guests.
- Get undivided attention – Find out who is going to be overseeing your catering on the day. I like to personally oversee every wedding that Gourmet Catering caters for. That’s why I will only commit to one wedding on any given day to ensure that your special day is a success and is stress free.
– CAROL SHIRLEY – GOURMET CATERING
If you would like to contact Carol about the wedding services she offers, visit her website for more information.