I’m often asked for recommendations of my favourite venues for Nelson weddings, and my answer is always the same… In this beautiful region I’m proud to call home, we are quite literally spoilt for choice!
There are so many fabulous venues to hold your ceremony, and of course, we’re also lucky to be blessed with generally good weather, so outdoor venues are definitely in the mix.
Nevertheless, I’ve tried to make some tough choices in this blog, and list my 5 favourite venues for Nelson weddings or civil unions. So, in no particular order…
- Fairfield House – Nestled in seven acres of beautiful woodlands and gardens, Fairfield House is one of Nelson’s most prestigious historic homes. Its spacious verandas and unique observation tower have gracefully overlooked the city since 1872. Fairfield House is a magical wedding venue.
- Thackwood Cottage Garden – Thackwood Cottage Garden is nestled in a fourth generation, 300 acre Farm, situated just 14km north of Nelson City. A love of the land has lead to the development of a two-acre English Cottage Garden as creative as it is filled with magical fragrances and secrets to discover. You may choose from two beautifully landscaped lawns for your ceremony, or you may hire both. You and your guests can meander through the garden at leisure, and take advantage of the many photo opportunities.
- In the park – We are blessed with some beautifully kept horticultural parks in Nelson; these include, Isel Park, Broadgreen, Miyazu Gardens, Fairfield parks, Queens Gardens and the Chinese Gardens. For more details on holding your ceremony at one of these parks visit the council website.
- At the beach – Need I say more? We are surrounded by stunning coastal parks and beautiful beaches. One of my favourite places for a beach wedding… Breaker Bay, Kaiteriteri.
- In a vineyard – Petite Fleur at Seifried Estate is a fabulous setting for your ceremony and reception. With a specially designed function centre offering different sized rooms, that will suit different types of weddings from small and intimate to those on a grander scale. Plus you’ll always find something suitable to toast the happy couple!