If you’re planning your wedding in Nelson, choosing a marriage celebrant is one of the biggest decisions you’ll make.
Talking to couples around Nelson and beyond, I often find that they have a very clear idea of the style that they would like their wedding to take, the type of venue they would like, the flowers, the food, the music… But they’re not always sure what they should be looking for in a marriage celebrant.
So I decided to pop together this list of 5 tips to help you choose your marriage celebrant.
- Check credentials – Be sure that your wedding celebrant is a member of a professional body, such as the Celebrants’ Association of New Zealand.
- Find them online – There’s a high chance that a celebrant’s online persona will reflect their offline characteristics. Do they have a professional website that answers your questions? Do they have testimonials to support their professionalism and deication? Do they offer caring advice and tips on how to make your special day spectacular?
- Get connected – Whomever you choose to officiate at your ceremony be sure that you’ve managed a face-to-face with them. That might be an actual meeting, or it can also be a virtual meeting. Skype still counts as a face-to-face. What you need to be sure of is that you feel a connection with the marriage celebrant you choose. Weddings and civil unions are emotionally charged celebrations and you need to be sure that you feel comfortable laughing and crying with the person that is going to join your hands in love.
- Test their listening skills – Your day is about you, so when you choose your celebrant be sure that they listen to your wishes. A good celebrant will ask more questions than you do at your first meeting.
- The nitty gritty – A celebrant should give you clear information about the services they offer and their associated fees and terms. Check what is included in the costs. You can view my charges HERE.